Thursday, August 27, 2009

AN UPDATE! (well, sort of!)

Today was the day I was allowed to call and check in with June (the very nice reception person at Dr. Debertin's office) if the doc hadn't called me yet.... So I did.

She called and the temporary receptionist (the usual one is on vacation) could not find a record of me. She will be back on Tuesday and June will call her again. :(

How embarrassing since I keep telling all my Texas friends how much more awesome Canadian healthcare is!

On a related note, I had another long conversation about Paramedic care in NB with another Paramedic. One interesting comment was "We used to have the highest save rate in the country. (Referring to the SJ area) Now I can't remember the last save." Since the big change, they no longer have cardiac drugs. :( Sadly, the leveling that occurred in the province meant better care for some, but lesser care for others. And Joe Q. Public has no way of knowing! This Joan Q. Public is finding out way too much.

Not all paramedics are allowed to carry Valium. They have "Diazepam Intercepts" to stop patients from seizing. What the f? Who loses brain cells from seizures? Why, children, of course.

From another source, I found out that there are still areas in the province with BLS ambulances. Notably, they are also in areas where native Canadians live. First Nations get lesser care? Wonder why. Very saddened about this, the more I learn about the systems the more I see the broke parts. :(

So, I think I am going to sit quietly for a while and learn more. I may have to try to save the world after all. *Sigh*

A Super Hero's job is never done.
Ande

No comments:

JOY walks here... PEACE follows... COMFORT saves...

This is where life should be lived